Everything You Need to Know about Hard Drives
A hard drive, also popularly known as ahard disk, is one of the most important components of any computer and its main purpose is digital storage. A hard drive has asignificant amount of contribution to the performance of a computer and that is whyany user must have complete knowledge about the hard drives.
A hard drive of a computer is connected to the motherboard by SATA cables.
Let us discuss more about hard drives or hard disks.
As I have already mentioned, thehard drive has a considerable amount of impact on the performance of a computer, let us now discuss how does it work!
- Firstly, we would consider the formation of the drive. It refers to the size of the drive and the number of plates used within it. As a result, the formationsuccessfully determines how much data can be stored on a hard drive, as well as its maximum transfer rate i.e. the maximum rate at which the hard drive can transfer data.
- The second most important factor for any hard drive is the revolutions per minuteof its spindle or shaft. The spindle creates the rotation of the platter in the middle of the hard drive. Therefore, if the revolution per minute is high, that indicates high-speed spindle and it means the drive has ahigher capability of transferring data.
- Another factor is the diameter of the platter inside the hard drive. Though the spindle speed is an important factor to be considered for a good hard drive, what also defines the performance of the hard drive is the platter. That is because, the spindle revolves at a constant speed, whereas the outer edge of a good hard drive would always revolve at a higher speed. This affects the performance of the hard drive in a good way.
- Another factor to be considered is the access time. Access time of a hard disk is the duration of time required for the magnetic drive heads to place themselves for a particular function. Access time is related to four tasks, namely, the time required to start writing a data, the time required to retrieve a data, the time required for the magnetic heads to complete a full movement and the time required to move between two tracks of a disk.
A Brief Overview on External Hard Disks
An external hard disk is a storage device, but it is to be connected from outside. It is generally used for extra space when the internal memory device gets full.
Following are the importance of an external hard disk:
- The main purpose of an external hard disk is storage. When the device memory is full, we go for an external hard disk. External hard disks allow you to have memory starting from 1TB to higher.
- External hard disks are easy to use, all you have to do is just connect it to your PC and laptop and start transferring files and documents.
- External hard disks are also secured and safe to use.